February 23, 2014

birdsong pulled










attuned to sunday morning birdsong i walk the mostly deserted street. inside it is all plaintive violin as i sit down with a mug of strong black tea and open my notebook to write. there is an attractive woman with short, boyish blonde hair standing alone beside the white counter upon which a pot of pink flowers refuses to let us forget. i do not want to not notice how her black tights trace the female in her form as the glass door behind her pours the gray on in. when i next look up after submerging my pen she is holding a brown cup of hot chocolate topped with a pale feather boa of whipped cream, both hands bracing the brown saucer as the coil of whipped cream wiggles like a woman pulling herself into something sexy. if i woke up, i woke up having wasted vast swathes of my life, blank pages the author never filled. all along the way the walk is sprinkled with hints of spring and for some reason i am haunted by what the scientists say. i woke up one morning and read that we may soon have more ocean and no fish and i still do not know what could i possibly do when i remain so fiendful & friendless and the imposter's chatter seldom lets me in? stroking my useless gratitude, how else can i continue? my attention returns to the songs i will not label. alone on a secret side street, i close my eyes for steps at a time, as if holding my breath to dive underwater, that other world you can only visit but never live, the world that admits you for the exact price of one breath. i recognize how fortunate i am to be safe, warm, and fed, surrounded by a beauty that i know will end. this morning i am led by song, pulled by a beak through the top of my skull, like a fisherman sitting in a tree reeling in my mind.











4 comments:

  1. Rick...I so enjoy your writing, the flow, mood, description, scenes you paint, and wonderful metaphors. Very poetic prose. I love your description of the woman holding the cup of hot chocolate:

    "she is holding a brown cup of hot chocolate topped with a pale feather boa of whipped cream, both hands bracing the brown saucer as the coil of whipped cream wiggles like a woman pulling herself into something sexy."

    Your photographs of spring flowers are gorgeous too!

    Cheers,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks cynthia, i really appreciate the comment. it's quite a treat as i don't receive them very often. i am very much inspired by what i observe in my urban habitat, both the flora/fauna & also the frequently unintentional beauty of people being people. i was worried when i first started taking pictures last year that photography would destroy my reason for writing. thankfully, that hasn't been the case though i do think it has both visually complemented it and also helped to hone my visual sense. i've been noticing how much more of the world i show and how much more thoroughly i depict it in my writing. one of william stafford's suggestion, taken i think from Writing the Australian Crawl, was how he just sits down and starts describing what he sees as a way to begin. i don't seem to have exhausted that suggestion yet.

      what gets you going?

      Delete
    2. I understand the bit of hesitation about posting photography with writing. I believe that each can compliment the other, but still be able to stand on its own. That's especially true of writing; the writing should be able live without the photograph. If writers depend on the photograph to show what they're trying to say, then they've done their writing an injustice by leaving the imagery out, running the risk of being dull and vague when the photograph is removed from the equation.

      I too am inspired by our natural world, even in urban settings. I enjoy taking photographs very much and they often inspire me to write both while I'm shooting them, and afterwards while looking at the finished result.

      And as for "writing as we see as a way to begin," if we follow that suggestion, it seems we never exhaust the all possibilities of things to write about. Yay for that!

      Delete
    3. i am never not surprised by what i see unless i'm not really looking

      Delete