December 12, 2016

Review of Certain Women by Kelly Reichardt







Oh that longing. Damn do I know that longing. I love the walk home from the cheap movie theater ($4 a ticket). The streets are remarkably dark and there's an old cemetery along the way which is, in its own right, an oasis of darkness. Every time I cut through I start out thinking, ah, it's no big deal, so what? and then half through I'm like, what the hell was I thinking? I've watched creatures slay things here, calmly. I really like the director of the movie "Certain Women," Kelly Reichardt. Such glum tone poems of loss & alienation! I've never seen the vampire movies so my impression of her is probably different, but I like how Kristen Stewart can articulate so much without saying much. And I'm fascinated by her eyes. She looks so exhausted & weary all the time, I just want to sit down beside her and ask how she's doing. The woman who cared for horses was a K.D. Lang song, so lunar. I like how the movie frequently paused with the landscape, so beautifully harsh. And no music, until the end. Interesting how intimate the dream can be without music insisting on something, until it needs to. I've been worried I'll get kicked out for complaining, which has reminded me how much I love to live alone.





No comments:

Post a Comment